Monday, June 16, 2008

It never rains but it pours


As you probably know, we've been having rains of deluvian proportions around here lately. You can see my whiskey barrel above--this year I learned that whiskey barrels are great for holding whiskey (and apparently rainwater), not so great for allowing adequate drainage for my poor impatiens or dusty miller (which we call Dusty Chaps in honor of our brother-in-law). There's standing water in it, and if you press on the soil anywhere, water just rises up. I think I'll have to replant most of it once it dries out. (Which of course is nothing compared to replanting corn.)
The other picture is the backyard--my hydrangeas can't get enough water, it seems, and you'll notice the one on the right is drooping. Drooping like it needs water--and this after innumerable inches of rain. I guess some things can never get enough.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: