Monday, September 22, 2008

Random trivia--salt and snot

Lately I have been learning that there are many things I don't know yet. It's been surprising to learn things that everyone else thinks I know. One example is that salt, if poured in copious quantities on the ground, will kill weeds, their roots, and any other other plants. Apparently the Romans did this to the nations they conquered in order to render their fields unusable. My entire women's craft group was aware of this, as was my husband (no surprise there, really), but I had never heard of it. BTW, I haven't been able to externally verify this either.

Another quick fact--if your nose runs when you eat spicy food (mine does!), you experience gustatory rhinitis. Don't you love words?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You never leave me without a smile. Thanks for sharing. I only knew that salt killed slugs.

Anna said...

I knew about the salt on fields thing... but I didn't know about the spicy foods thing. My nose runs with spicy food as well, like the extremely spicy enchiladas Verde I had a week ago. Now that was spicy!