Tuesday, March 10, 2009

am I a parent? am I a library?

The obvious answer to these questions is, "no." No, I have no children sleeping under my roof for whom I am directly responsible. No, I am not a large brick building full of books and DVDs and rambunctious children.

However, in a very real sense I have come to accept that I am both a parent and a library.

This question first presented itself almost 10 years ago, when I was working at VBS as a recent college grad. A child said something about me being a parent, and when I protested, she said, "Yes you are. There are only two kinds of people in the world, children and parents, and you're a parent."

News to me, let me tell you!

More recently part of my job at the library has involved me doing monthly visits to area daycares and preschools. I bring library materials and do a storytime. Many of the children I see on these visits call me, "Library," as in, "Library, I really liked that book. Can you bring it again next time? Library, when are you going to bring your big blue dog again?"

It's puzzling and gratifying at the same time to be equated with the entirety of what the word "library" entails. (Then again, maybe they just can't say my name. :-) ) Really, I think what happens is their teacher says, "The library's coming today! ... The library's here! Pick up your toys and get ready for her!" So, it makes sense to me, and I'm getting used to it.

Parent, though, is harder to figure out. This week at D6 it came up again. Our small group of kindergarteners was chatting about handstands and cartwheels. I commented that I can't do a cartwheel, and one young girl said calmly and matter-of-factly, "That's because you're a parent." This time I didn't argue, merely said, "Well, even when I was a kid the best I could manage was a tripod" and the conversation moved on.

What I've learned is that, for a certain number of children, I function as a (very) part-time parent. Although society doesn't usually talk in those terms, these children made it very clear that they consider any adults that care for them to be a type of parent.

And for many more children, I am the main (or only) face of the library.

Even more sobering, to many people of this world, I am the face of Christ. Are we living up to all that we represent every day?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anastasia,
You made me smile, laugh, and think. I love your posts. I will try hard to refrain from addressing you from now on as "Library", but it will be difficult. :)

My nickname in college was Webster...another story...

Anna said...

Awesome Post!!! That was funny and thought provoking at the same time.