Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Yellow cake--not as successful

This is what happens when you skip the step of lining your pans with parchment paper (I've heard b/w newsprint works too). I had even greased and floured them, to no avail. Maybe if I'd let them cool longer?

Anyway, this is the recipe I was making--the yellow cake recipe out of Pam Anderson's book The Perfect Recipes for Entertaining (I would highly recommend this book--available at your local library). I was drawn it by its promise of ease and versatility: fill it with raspberry and top with cream cheese frosting or fill with marmalade and glaze with chocolate, or simply top with fruit topping.

The first attempt, as shown above, resulted in a bunch of tasty crumbs and tidbits, so I whipped up some chocolate frosting and used my Pampered Chef decorator to put rosettes on them and everyone thought I did it on purpose. The second time I made it went much better, and I topped it with applesauce (see last week's post) and ice cream. I put the other layer in the freezer, and I'll be trying the raspberry version for Mom's birthday this weekend. I think it broke in transit to the freezer, but it will still taste good!

So the jury's still out on this recipe--it's relatively easy, but I still get hung up on exactly how long to beat at various steps in the recipe, and it's quite dense, but definitely buttery and tasty. I don't think it will be the only cake I will make for the rest of my life.

The one I really have my sights set on is this one, but just reading the recipe tires me out!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure a broken cake will still taste delicious!

Faith said...

I think you need to tackle the rainbow cake: http://www.mycharmingkids.net/2009/09/rainbow-cake.html

I think it looks gorgeous, but what a labor of love!

Anna said...

My grandmother always said to never admit defeat in a recipe. People will think you invented a new way of doing things. So, put those rosettes on your cake bites! It is the new thing! :)