Saturday, March 19, 2011

Basic Granola


This is the granola I made frequently while growing up, and it's the granola I make about twice a month now. I make it 12 cups at a time in a large roasting pan because Alex and I each eat 1/2 cup of it every morning for breakfast, often with homemade yogurt, so we go through it quickly. As the title mentions, this is the most basic recipe I use. We (I) do occasionally get bored with it so I have a maple version and a peanut butter version as well. I enjoy making granola because it ensures that every day we can have an easy, inexpensive, and healthy breakfast that will carry us through our mornings. I hope you enjoy it!

Granola

Adapted from the More with Less Cookbook

Anastasia Tuckness

12 c oats

1 c honey

1 c vegetable oil

1 c wheat germ (opt.)

1 c walnuts

Additional nuts or dried fruit as desired

Several good shakes of cinnamon and salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 while you measure oats.

2. Toast oats in oven 8 minutes.

3. Stir in wheat germ, walnuts, cinnamon, salt.

4. Pour honey and oil over; stir well.

5. Bake for 8 minute intervals, stirring after each one and checking for desired doneness.

6. Cool on rack.

7. Mix in other cereals such as Grape Nuts and All Bran and dried fruit.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is the granola recipe i've been looking for!

i'm too cheap for super fancy granolas, but boy do i love munching on that stuff!

thanks, anastasia!