Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Christian Fiction, Part I

Christian fiction has often been accused of being formulaic, pedantic, predictable, unrealistic, and often not very Christian or very good fiction.

For many authors and titles, I agree with this assessment.

However, many genres (romance, mystery, etc.) could also easily be accused of being formulaic and unrealistic. This does not prevent them from being fun to read.

So, a definition: Truly good Christian fiction is not overtly preachy; the truths of Christianity are woven through the story. The plot tells an interesting story and the characters are complex. And you can't tell who the main character is going to marry just by reading the first chapter.

As I post reviews, I'll let you know whether a book is truly good Christian fiction, or whether it's just a quick, fun Sunday afternoon read.

If you want to get started on some truly great Christian fiction, check out Francine Rivers' novels. "The Mark of the Lion" trilogy is amazing historical fiction, and And the Shofar Blew is incredibly compelling modern-day fiction.
http://www.francinerivers.com/books.asp

Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I really enjoy Francine Rivers! She does a great job and I honestly do not enjoy much "Christian Fiction." The Mark of the Lion series was wonderful, as was The Shofar Blew!

I also really enjoy Jan Karon and her series of books.

Betty Swadley said...

I like Francine Rivers. My favorite is "The Last Sin Eater."

I also very much enjoy Beverly Lewis. I read two whole series while recuperating from a knee
replacement. Her tales of the Amish may or may not be truth based, but they are interesting and hold my attention.

Glad you enjoyed your 5th anniversary cruise!

Betty Swadley