Wednesday, November 12, 2008

things I never knew...

One of my main responsibilities at the library is planning and presenting BabyTalk, our storytime for babies and their families. We do this program three times a week, and we really do get babies who are only five days old all the way through 1-yr-olds. (Then they graduate to Toddler Time, where they mostly run around and dance.) I love watching the babies of course, and it is also a joy to get to know the moms and dads--I'm impressed with their motivation to get to the program despite a crying baby, terrible weather, work schedules, etc.

These great parents (from all walks of life) share tips and tidbits with each other and me--how to make cloth diapers work, what's on sale at the consignment shop this week, when to start putting shoes on your baby.

But one tidbit last week stopped me in my tracks. Apparently they (nurses) are now telling new moms and dads not to kiss their babies on the mouth. Ever. The rationale is that bacteria from the parent's mouth transfers to the baby's mouth and causes tooth decay.

I tried to verify this, and found this blog post, which is a big long rant against kissing babies and kids on the mouth; at the end there's a quote and a link about dental issues but I couldn't find the quote on the page it linked to. Also found this commercial post urging parents to buy this product to rid their mouths of bacteria. So apparently it is a matter of some discussion.

Conclusion? Maybe it's another sign of our obsessed-with-germs culture, that may actually be weakening our immune systems in the process. Maybe if I had a baby, I might try to brush my teeth before kissing him or her. (Then again, I have no cavities.) In any case, I applaud you parents out there who are having to wade through all these well-meaning suggestions!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a new one for me. Well, I don't think we are going to stop kissing the kids. We will just deal with our trips to the dentist. I guess I need to get Katherine to the library so I can learn the latest. :) Thanks for your posts.

Anna said...

This is new to me also. I also have no cavities, but I am sure there is bacteria in my mouth. :)

I can't imagine not kissing my kidlets! Some things in life you just have to live with! I do think we are becoming a too sanitized world and that is why they think we are having so many problems with our health. We have no immunities. Ah well, as much as my kids play in dirt I am sure they are fine. hehe...

btw, I am glad you enjoyed my book nook post and I am glad you got in more Elephant and Piggie early readers, we now own them all and my kids both love reading those out loud to me.