Saturday, November 1, 2008

Cranberry Orange Pinwheels



I found a recipe for pinwheels in Midwest Living that looked pretty good, and then I ran into a Date-Orange breakfast spread in Cooking Light, so I decided to combine them and this is the result. Next time I would cut them more like 2” thick, rather than 1”, and I’ll look for a different color tortilla. I might try a cranberry-walnut version sometime. The amounts of fruit, spread, and tortilla are rough estimates. These were the favorite snack at a recent library event, and they are one of the few things I've made that taste way better than they look.


Orange Date Pinwheels
Cooking Light/Midwest Living adapt.
~45 min
~40 small bites

8 oz package cream cheese, softened
2 T finely grated orange rind
4 T freshly-squeezed orange juice
1 t cinnamon
¼ t salt
1 pkg flour tortillas
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup minced, sugared dates
Dusting of cinnamon

1. To make the spread, mix together the first 5 ingredients.
2. Spread the mixture generously on a tortilla all the way across.
3. Sprinkle cranberries and dates on half the tortilla.
4. Carefully roll the tortilla tightly into a spiral, starting with the edge with the fruit. Cut on the bias with a fairly sharp angle, trimming the ends. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.
5. Dust with cinnamon and orange zest, if desired.

1 comment:

Anna said...

All I can say is YUM!