Monday, February 9, 2009

Dirt

I have been working on getting stains out of our carpet and it reminded me of an experience a few years ago where I let a vacuum salesman come into our home because he said he could remove any stain and would do it for free. We have a pretty bad one at the top of our stairs that thus far has been invincible. So he did this demonstration showing us how much dirt our vacuum wasn't getting up and then wanted us to pay a very large sum of money that day to buy a new vacuum. I informed him that we don't spend that kind of money without taking time to think about it. He insisted this was our only chance to live a clean, dirt free life. When I kept saying no he then called his boss to report. The boss apparently told him to ask us if we realized how much dirt we would be living with. I then informed him that in much of the world living with dirt is a normal part of human life and that, yes, we were fine with dirt. At that point he informed his boss that we were ok with dirt and gave up. He didn't get the stain out, though I am not sure if it was because he couldn't or because he wanted to honor our preference for dirt.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Oh. My. That is too funny. I once had one of those people come to my house. There was no way we could have afforded the cleaner either. meh. Some dirt is good for you.

clarkitect said...

Were we not formed from dirt? That would have been a funny one to drop on him.