Sunday, July 12, 2009

know what you are bad at

One of my mottoes since back when I was in college is that a big part of life is knowing what you are bad at. In my cases it is a little easier because I tend toward extremes and tend to be either good or bad at things and rarely average. I let my sisters have a veto over my wardrobe back then (my wife has one too now- she has recently relented and let me occasionally wear the infamous Hawaiian shirt since the cruise). We sometimes talk about how we need to improve on our weaknesses, but I think there is a distinction. Sometimes by a "weakness" we mean a "character flaw" by which we should mean "sin." Using "that is just how I am" as an excuse to be lazy or selfish or careless (just to choose some not so random hypotheticals) is wrong. I am talking more about what our skills and talents are. As we have been moving and getting our house ready I have been forced into a world where I am consistently below average in my abilities (painting, moving dishwashers, etc.). One of the great blessings has been how many people have helped. They haven't just saved us time, they have done things better than they would have been done if I had tried to do them. Truly a blessing.

No comments: