Friday, April 18, 2008

Green Cleaning


Here's my first attempt at creating a home cleaning solution. I've been using baking soda to clean for a few months now, since SoftScrub stopped making a non-scented liquid cleanser. This week though I wasn't sure if just baking soda would cut it--I wanted more of a disinfectant. So I whipped this up:

Disinfectant: Mix 2 teaspoons borax, 4 tablespoons vinegar and 3 cups hot water. For stronger cleaning power add 1/4 teaspoon liquid castile soap. Wipe on with dampened cloth or use non-aerosol spray bottle.
It worked great for getting through scum on sinks and cleaning the toilet. On the stubborn scum in the tub, though, I had to pull out the baking soda to have enough grit to scrub through.
I'm still not sure about all this, though--like there's a recipe for vinegar and baking soda you mix up and use as toilet cleaner--what do you mix it in before you put it in the toilet? And can you use your regular measuring cups for this stuff?
Is anyone else trying this? I'd be curious to know of others' efforts.

3 comments:

Partyhouse 4 God said...

I used this combo when I used to clean my friends' house. It really works. You mix it up and put it in a spray bottle and then just spray it on everything and wipe it off. Also,when you are cleaning widows or glass- instead of using papertowls, use newspaper it works perfectly!!!

Jon said...

Vinegar + baking soda = elementary school science fair "volcano." I'm not sure it'd be all that useful.

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

I LOVE GREEN CLEANING! all my cleaners are homemade; i even make my own laundry detergent.

the best thing i've found for toilets is to put pure vinegar in a little spray bottle and spray the insides of the toilet, dust some borax around the sides so that it sticks to the vinegar (i use about a half of an old laundry detergent lid for measurement) and let it sit for a few minutes. then i just scrub a little with a toilet brush. super easy!