Sunday, August 31, 2008

A worthy successor to Ramona



Growing up, Beverly Cleary's books were the first chapter books I remember reading on my own. There must be over 20 of them, so I have many fond memories of heading into the school library and making a beeline for the C section, knowing I'd find a great read there. (This gives me some sympathy for my patrons who head straight for Magic Treehouse without deviating to anything else they might possibly like better--who wants to fool around with the unknown when the known suits you just fine?) Through the magic of Scholastic book orders, I eventually collected all the Ramona books (most in a great boxed set), and even now I reread them regularly, particularly when I get a nasty cold or flu. I believe that these books have influenced me profoundly--just a few weeks ago I read the part where Ramona is helping her aunt unwrap her wedding presents: when she gets to the amazingly fluffy towels, she thinks now these are towels worth marrying for. And now I know why I was determined to register for the softest, fluffiest towels!

Anyway, Beverly Cleary has stopped writing, so we've been watching for emerging, spunky young heroines. While Junie B. has her place, as a person she's not easy to like, and most people (including me) aren't crazy about her writing style either.

Enter Sara Pennypacker's Clementine. She has a little brother, a great mom and dad, and she lives in an apartment building in New York. Her books (three of them to date) are hilarious, and the comedy comes in large part from her unique perspective on the world. She can't figure out why the principal stares at the ceiling while Clementine tells her what's she's done to get in trouble--are there snakes up there? She writes notes to herself on her arm--reminders of things to do and not to do, both immediately and in the distant future (some pertain to the husband she is sure she will not have). She refuses to call her brother by his name, instead referring to him using various vegetable names (String bean! Spinach!). She figures since she got stuck with a fruit name, he should get stuck with a vegetable name. Many of her problems arise at school and with friends, and young readers should have no trouble identifying with her. It does have great drawings. Read them with your family, give them to your 2nd-3rd grader, read them yourself!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: