Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Amazing oven fries


I have a love affair with the potato, and that's a fact. In junior year English, we were asked to write an essay describing which food we would like to be, and I chose the potato. So cheap! So versatile! Saved the Irish!

I try to sate my passion with baked potatoes (the Wendy's ones are great) and mashed potatoes rather than fast food French fries or Perkins hash browns (extra crispy) that I love. This oven fry recipe is a great middle ground.

My mom made oven fries for us often when we were growing up, usually as a side to our fish on Thursday night. Her version involved large wedges of russets tossed in vegetable oil. This is a somewhat refined version for the nights when we want something special.

Cut Yukon Gold potatoes in fries 1” long and ½” thick. Toss with a couple teaspoons olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a sprayed or lined baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes, or until golden, stirring halfway through. Toss with salt and serve.

If you choose to cut them bigger or use russets, the flavor and texture will change--russets are fluffier, these are more sturdy. Make sure to give yourself enough time for any potato to get golden on the outside and tender on the inside!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look delicious!

Unknown said...

We had these with tuna melts for lunch today. Wonderful!

Anna said...

I do something similar, but I stick my cut potatoes in a bag with a bit of Olive Oil and I sprinkle in my season salt. It gives them more of a steak fries flavor.

I haven't made them in soooo long though! Great idea!