Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why I don't blog much

I haven't posted anything for months, and when I am in doubt about what to write I can always get introspective. I don't normally have a shortage of things to say, so why hasn't blogging really caught on with me? A few reasons:

1) I am proud and like to impress people when I write or speak, and I do both of these things a lot anyway between my job and work at church. Writing or speaking in public is not the easiest way for me to unwind.
2) I like targeting what I say to the specific audience. I don't enjoy offending people and when I post a blog I am always imagining the easiest-to-offend person out there reading it. Selective communication is also a way of presenting yourself differently to different groups of people, and not necessarily desirable.
3) I am long winded. Long blogs take a long time to write and people don't read them, and working to make things shorter feels like work and isn't fun.

So really all of it can be explained in terms of various character flaws. Of course I could probably sit down with an avid blogger and find other character flaws that lead them to blog. Score another one for total depravity.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, Al, I obviously do not blog much either. And when I do, I do not write about anything deep or weighty. Of course, I do not write for a job or even speak anymore. So, what do I do? I hang out with the kiddos and incubate... :) I enjoy reading what both you and Anastasia write. Just know, I really do read the whole thing.