Monday, October 13, 2008

My dishwasher


So this (and this) is what our kitchen looked like until just recently. Crowded and often full of dirty dishes. I was getting fed up and so we started looking into possibilities. We didn't really want to redo our whole kitchen since the floor and the appliances are new and the cabinets look pretty good. We checked on portable dishwashers--none available locally for purchase that would fit. Finally we found the Danby 18" portable online, and eventually found that we could have it shipped to Walmart. We don't normally shop there, but saving that much money on shipping, plus having some place we could bring it back to if necessary, was very attractive.

And now, so is our kitchen. See below.


We fit the dishwasher between the stove and the wall, where, not surprisingly, an old non-functioning portable dishwasher lived when Alex first moved in. I am mystified as to why we didn't replace it right away--I think I thought the baker's rack was more important. It is now across the room, next to the kitchen table (which is smaller than it was when we got married--no leaves now.) The move opened things up so much.



Here's the dishwasher. One reviewer called it "the easy bake oven" of dishwashers, and it is small, but we don't generate that many dishes. On average we run it every 2 days, unless I cook enchiladas. Then we ran it twice in one day! It gets the dishes way more sparkling clean than I ever could. But it does take almost 2 hours!


Here is Cleo's reaction--he was really freaked out the first night we ran it. He's used to it now.

All in all, a great early birthday present that will keep on giving. Thanks, Alex!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great. I know I love using a dishwasher, though we did not have one in the early years of our marriage. Jeff was our dishwasher and I was the one who dried and put away. I am glad you all were able to get one!

By the way, still no baby!

Anna said...

I like it! Looks great!!!