Monday, January 5, 2009

Bible Translations, NIV and RSV

The translation I have used most is the NIV. I grew up with it, so it is familiar and it is the most commonly used one in evangelical circles so when I teach or preach it is the least distracting for the most people. People who use other translations even though the preaching is from the NIV are generally people who like comparing translations anyway. I am not sure if it is the "best" translation. Sometimes things become the standard because they are in the right place at the right time. In the 1970s there was a strong demand for a more readable translation then the King James which was written in the early 17th century and was not based on the earliest original manuscripts. Then once people get attached to something it is hard to change. Most of the scripture I have memorized is in the NIV and that is one of the main reasons for being reluctant to change. The NIV is somewhere in the middle of the translation continuum between being ultra-literal and being a mere paraphrase. It flows well for reading aloud and silently and generally does a very good job of capturing the author's point.

The only stretch where I was not primarily an NIV person was in college and grad school. I wanted a more literal translation but thought the New American Standard Bible (NASB) was too stilted for every day use. I also wanted a study bible. So I ended up using the Revised Standard Version which was the most common alternative to the King James before the NIV came out. At the time I also remember wondering whether the NIV was "biased" in that evangelicals translated it in such a way to cover up "problem" passages. When I moved to Iowa I switched back to the NIV. It is easier to read and memorize and easier to teach from. I also decided my fears were overblown. I almost never use my duct tape repaired RSV study bible anymore but keep it around for sentimental reasons and because when I went to Zambia I was trying to take easy to read translations.

So I have an NIV study Bible that I have had for a while and is falling apart. I also have the NIV "student bible" that was given to me in high school and that I keep at my office at work. Then there is the NIV text that I have downloaded onto my PDA so that I can have it in my pocket where ever I go. I also have a simple $4 hardcover NIV that we call the "preaching bible" because I normally only use it when I am teaching large groups at church. It is not distracting and it is a nice size to not fall off the music stands they give us to set our bible and notes on. I also have a wide margin NIV that is for marking up and making notes. I just got it last year so it is still in the early stages of getting marked up, I go in stages. The NIV is also on my Bible software (more on that later) and is the translation for the CD audio bible I got several years back. Plus I think there is a falling apart paperback that we keep upstairs when I occasionally want to check a different translation against it late at night before bed (I'll explain that later too.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alex,
I have enjoyed the installment plan of your Bible reading/version preferences. One would never know that you were not a huge fiction person growing up. Each day is a mini cliff-hanger. I am currently using the HCSB and really like it. It is close enough to the NIV not to drive me crazy when I follow along at church.