Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Better-than-Panera Salad


Posted by Picasa


Yesterday I shared about our special cheese dinner; today I'll show you what to do with the leftovers--make a salad prettier than anything Panera offers. I use bagged salad, for simplicity and because we can never eat a whole head of lettuce before it goes bad. Then I top it with toasted walnuts for good solid protein, some crumbled or cubed cheese, and finally ring it with slices of apple or pear. I don't use dressing on a salad like this because I think the cheese, nuts, and fruit add enough interest and moisture. (I will say, though, that I am searching for recipes for dressings to go with salads like these, so let me know if you have a good one!) With the leftover bread and a bit of chocolate for dessert, it's a nice light lunch.

No comments: