Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Classic Waldorf Salad

Posted by PicasaI thought I'd better post a recipe here in the middle of Alex's musings on Bibles....
This is more of an ingredient list and reminder of how great simple food can be than a detailed recipe. Waldorf salad tastes especially good at this time of year, I think--fresh, crunchy, sweet. Basically, it consists of chopped apples, celery, and walnuts, with some raisins thrown in. I like to toast the walnuts because toasted nuts always taste better. (I do them in a dry skillet over med-hi until they smell toasty. You can also do them in the microwave or oven.)
The dressing is traditionally simply mayonnaise--enough to coat the salad and make it moist. You might add a bit of lemon juice if you're not going to eat it right away--it will slow down the oxidation (browning) of the apples. Lately though, I've been using plain yogurt and a bit of honey for the dressing--much healthier and quite tasty! In a future post, I'll tell you how to make your own yogurt. Stay tuned!

No comments: