Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Book Review--The Namesake

I wrote about this book earlier(http://tucknesstimes.blogspot.com/2008/04/book-reviews.html). However, it was this month's book club pick so I immersed myself in it again. I downloaded it from our library (if you live in Iowa, check your public library's webpage--it's super easy to do and much less clunky than carrying around or ripping a bunch of CDs to an MP3 player) and listened to parts of it and read the rest, then discussed it in book club, then watched the movie.
I think it's exceptionally well-written--I enjoyed all the detailed descriptions of the settings and the way she packed a lot of characterization into a few words. One of my favorite examples goes something like this: "Ashoke hated waste, so much so that he didn't like Ashima to use too much water when filling the teakettle." The author gives concrete examples of how the characters' traits play out in real life, which makes everything come alive.
The first time I read it I found the plot a bit depressing, but this time I was just able to enjoy the writing and characterization. The movie was quite good and gave Alex and me lots to talk about--particularly if Moushimi and Nikhil could ever have succeeded. As a result of all this, I've decided to put this on my recommended shelf at the library (I had been debating).
Posted by Picasa

No comments: