Friday, July 25, 2008

Thank you, ladies of Springfield


We got this crystal pedestal bowl from someone when we had our wedding reception in Springfield. I had put all the crystal in boxes in the basement until recently because I couldn't imagine using it--I do think it's a bit more southern than midwestern. Although Alex's mom would be more liable to actually make a watermelon boat than use a bowl if it were July, I haven't quite gotten to that stage yet.

Anyway, when Mom and I were organizing the basement this winter, we found all the crystal, and I like two pieces quite a bit. One is this bowl, and the other is a massive crystal bowl that holds spinach or fruit salad for 20 people. When we found them, I realized I just needed to get comfortable taking them places, since usually when I'm eating with that many people it's not at my house. So I've used the large one twice and this one once in the last few months, and have really enjoyed using them.

I'm also trying to revive the art of the fruit salad--just plain cut up fruit, at least 4 types, varying colors and textures, no whipped cream or glaze or anything. Everyone loves it--try it at your next group gathering! Warning--it's not necessarily cheap and it can be labor intensive, but your kids or early guests can help and it's certainly healthy and well-received. Now if I could just figure out what to do with the massive vase.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love using my crystal bowls for anything and everything. I often use a smallish one just for putting salad on the table for us. I guess the influence of my mom is strong. Your fruit salad looked beautiful. I agree that you cannot go wrong with this with company or a any get together.