Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Perfect chicken stock


I love having cooked chicken and chicken broth in the house for use in recipes, and this is the perfect way to make both at the same time. It's cheap, you don't have to babysit it, and it doesn't boil over. And it makes your house smell great! (I've made many quarts of broth in a stockpot, and this is just a way better method.)

Chicken Stock in Crockpot
15 minutes prep; 6-7 hours cook; 30 minutes processing afterward
2 quarts stock; 6 servings cooked chicken

4 carrots
4 inner stalks celery (with leaves)
2 onions
10 peppercorns
6 lbs (+/-) chicken pieces (bone in, skin on, I use hindquarters b/c they're cheap and flavorful)
Water

1. Wash the carrots if muddy; chop all vegetables into 3-4 pieces, leaving peels and leaves on.
2. Put all ingredients in crockpot. Add a few cups of water, almost covering everything.
3. Cook on low 6-7 hours. (If your chicken is frozen, cook on high for the first hour.)
4. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and let cool.
5. Strain juices with a strainer into 2Q measuring bowl; discard vegetables. (If you put a coffee filter in your strainer, it will strain out all the fat as well.)
6. Refrigerate stock until fat hardens; skim off fat and freeze stock in ice cube or 2 cup portions.
7. Either eat chicken as is or debone and save chicken for later use in cooking.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I will try my post again since I was unable to keep new sentences forming. I have bone-in chicken in my freezer just waiting to be used. I am anxious to try out your suggestions. I can see all of my favorite dishes dancing before my eyes. Thanks.

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

sweet! i'll have to try this sometime...it looks a lot easier and less digusting than my method, which is saving up chicken bones in the freezer. sick. :)